What is Stabilizer?
- Also known as Cyanuric Acid (CYA) or Conditioner
- A chemical developed largley to bond to chlorine
- Stablizer should be used in any outdoor pool utilizing chlorine as the primary sanitizer - including salt pools
- Stabilizer should be used in any vinyl-lined pool indoor or outdoor
Why is it important?
- Stabilizer serves 2 useful functions
- Significantly reduces the rate at which chlorine dissipates in UV rays
- Extends the life of the vinyl liners
Do Stabilizer levels change?
- Stabilizer is only lost from pool water by draining, backwashing or bather drag-out
- It cannot be broken down and does not evaporate
- To reduce stabilizer levels, the water must be diluted through draining and refilling with fresh water
Problems associated with CYA:
- As stabilizer levels climb, their ability to slow the speed at which chlorine kills increases
- Maintain stabilizer levels below 100ppm
- There are no known negative health effects from stabilizer